Re: Image Question

by Anne Newnham <anne(at)ak.planet.gen.nz>

 Date:  Fri, 12 May 2000 13:24:34 +1200
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>A good rule of thumb to follow when working with images:
>
>If the image contains line art or blocks of colours (i.e. company logos)
>use a gif
>When in doubt, try saving your image as both gif and jpg, and compare the
>resulting file size/image quality.

To follow on from this, I still find file size in gifs and jpgs confusing.
For example I am working with a company logo at the moment (blocks of
colour and some text) I saved it as a gif(8/256) and a copy as jpg. I'm
happy with the quality in both formats.

Paint Shop tells me the file sizes (in RAM) are 20k for the gif
                                     and 57k for the jpg. Fair enough.

When i look at the 2 images in Dreamweaver, it tells me the file size is
                                      12k for the gif
                                    and 7k for the jpg

I realise there are different ways of measuring file size (though I dont
understand the details).  But why is the gif size smaller than the jpg in
Paint Shop and bigger than the jpg in dreamweaver. All I'm interested in is
download time so should I trust dreamweaver and go for the jpg, even though
this sort of image should be better and smaller in gif format?

Anne Newnham
anne(at)pl.net
Auckland, New Zealand