Re: More stupid basic questions

 Date:  Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:08:15 -0400
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:07 PM 6/24/00 +0300, Lauri V=E4inRpbg=3D=3D wrote:
>Hello Captain,
>
>*Why* ?
>It seems like two versions of the same content is an awful lot of work.
>/.../
>
>Getting sarcastic, huh? :-)

Absolutely not. If I came across that way to you I sincerely apologize to
you and the readers of this list.

>First of all, you're not required to do 2 versions of your site, I just do
>it (I can write it off as 'going the extra mile for the client'). I like
>people who think themselves so I won't push it on you :-)

Who think themselves what? I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment.

>I try to make my sites accessible to EVERYBODY (including people on
>different platforms, different browsers, visually disabled people and so
>on). What can I say, it's me :-)

I hate to break the new to you Ma am. There is ~only~ one way to accomplish
that. Valid HTML. You can have 14 versions of your pages and it won't
matter if the code is not correct (compliant with the standards for the
HTML), you will not be able to meet that goal *reliably and predictably*.
To depend on a script (in this case Java Script) to redirect viewers to one
version or another is in its self ' locking out ' a substantial number of
visitors if your intent is to reach "EVERYBODY" that is not the way to do=
 it.

[. . . ]

>I guess making 2 versions of a site would be easier using database
>technology, but I haven't gotten myself to look into it, yet. If somebody
>would happen to know any good tutorials, reference tables etc concerning
>databases then I would be interested in getting my hands on it. BTW, I=
 don't
>have any previous programming experienc :-(

I think I'm getting a little better feel for this . . . I think I'm just
more the believer in the K.I.S.S. principal.

Thanks for taking the time for this exchange on information Lauri. Again,
your very first line concerns me, I *really* did not mean to come off as
being sarcastic. I apologize sincerely.

SeaYa,
Fuzzy
Captain F.M. O'Lary