Re: Font Question

 Date:  Sun, 09 Jul 2000 11:49:58 -0400
 To:  Elias Thienpont <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
May I respectfully point out that a font choice such as "New Times Roman"
may not be such a good idea as it is a "Microsoft" - only - font.

Now, what Elias says is *definitely accurate, using that font *will* help a
larger audience see your stuff as designed, but . . . Not until the advent
(release) of Office 98 for MAC was this font available for the MAC platform
at all. As you can probably guess . . . Office 98 (for MAC) isn't exactly a
low end program in terms of its system demands. Thus, *most* of the MAC's
in the public domain do not have office or the ability to run it - even if
they wanted to for some strange reason ;-).

Again, respectfully, I would propose that if you have a *need* to specify a
font in your on-line presentation you define multiple fonts that are
similar in presentation so that most (if not all) viewers get as close to
possible to your intended display, for example "arial, helvetica, verdana".

Oh. A side note: The down side of this is that *in my opinion* italic
arial, looks like a crack addict with Parkinson's disease wrote it. Yea,
really bad. But my intent is not to suggest the use of ANY specific font,
just that if you *need* to specify one, make it _multiple_ similar fonts.

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. That was NOT a slam against folks with Parkinson's Disease. My mother
had it and it is a very, very, terrible affliction.

At 07:52 AM 7/9/00 -0600, Elias Thienpont wrote:
[ . . . ]
Using the most basic fonts such as New Times Roman, and
>forgetting about other nice fonts such as Cheltenham or Bodoni will ensure
>that a greater percentage of your users will have the font that you
specified.
[ . . . ]
Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net