Re: Font Question

 Date:  Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:55:36 -0400
 To:  Freda Lockert <fredalockert(at)clara.co.uk>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Freda,

I guess next you are going to try and tell me Paul McCartney was in a band
before "Wings".

Sheeesh. Sooome people :-)
Mike.
P.S. Sincerely, thanks for the information Freda. Believe it or not, I like
to know the history of this stuff.

Have a great day, and thanks again Freda.

At 08:15 PM 7/9/00 +0100, Freda Lockert wrote:
><snip>
>>"New Times Roman" ... is a "Microsoft" - only - font.
>
>Oh Mr Fuzzy, there was life before Microsoft, despite what Billge
>would have us think!
>
>'... Times New Roman - is an historical pastiche drawn by Victor
>Lardent for Stanley Morison in London in 1931. It has a humanist axis
>but Mannerist proportions, Baroque weight, and sharp, Neoclassical
>finish'. From 'The Elements of Typographic Style' by Robert
>Bringhurst, publisher Hartley & Marks.
>
><snip>
>Not until the advent (release) of Office 98 for MAC was this font
>available for the MAC platform at all. <snip>
>
>To my knowledge it was digitised before MS Office was ever calved and
>you can buy it from Adobe, Monotype,  and Linotype, among others,
>TrueType and Type 1, with no reference to any Mickey$oft copyright or
>licence.
>
>Perhaps it's fitting that Microsoft Office's default face is a
>mish-mash of historical references with no intrinsic merit of its
>own. <grin>.
>
>Regards.
>
>Freda
>
>--
>Never give up on what you know in your heart to be right. The world
>needs you and your commitment, desperately. - John Denver.
>http://www.thp.org

Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net
sysop(at)mail.ruediger.leon.k12.fl.us