Re: <!DOCTYPE .....

 Date:  Tue, 11 Jul 2000 07:38:45 -0400
 To:  mcs(at)prcn.org (J Alice McCallum),
"HTML Guild" <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
YEA !!! Alice !!!

Congratulations on your first (commercial) site!

http://www.hwg.org/resources/?cid=14

is a wonderful place to start for information on the questions you asked.
This same basic info is available at http://w3.org, but it's not nearly so
"user friendly" in terms of terminology.

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. I'm not passing the buck ;-) It's just that it would take several
pages of text to correctly answer the questions you have asked. For the
sake of reinforcing points made recently, I would like to point out that
according to the W3 (they make the rules for this stuff) that the DTD
(<!DOCTYPE . . . - Document Type Definition ) is a *required* element of
any HTML file.

At 09:07 PM 7/10/00 -0700, J Alice McCallum wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I have just posted my first commercial website, and I am very pleased with
>it.
>
>I have been following the threads of several different discussions with
>interest.
>
>I thought I would try the validation thing out, and found I am still in the
>learning stages (not that I thought I was out of them in the least...lol).
>
>Anyway, when I ran the W3 validate, it came up with that I don't have the
><!DOCTYPE...> included.  Which I don't.
>
>How do I know what to put in?  Where can I learn more about the different
>"attributes" of this tag?
>
>For example IETF vs W3C?
>
>What is the difference between, strict, transitional, final, frameset, etc?
>
>and there is so much more....  I thought I would surf and check the code of
>some of the pages, and most don't have the <!DOCTYPE...> included.  Others
>just confused me more.
>
>If someone could direct me to a tutorial, or .... something...
>
>Thanks in advance...
>
>Alice

Captain F.M. O'Lary
webmaster(at)canopy.net