Re: TEST

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:11:25 -0400
 To:  "Susan Kemp" <SusanKemp(at)earthlink.net>,
"HTML Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Susan,

This is advise, so take it or leave it ok?

1) Virtually _no_ mailing list accept formatted e-mail.

As a general rule, the *best* way to get your mail box set on fire by
flaming messages is to send formatted e-mail to a list-serve.

2) *Forget* homesite's internal validator!

True, it _will_ *help*, but it IS NOT the "real deal". Use the link
provided on this list on a regular basis if you are even close to serious
about making your documents work.

http://validator.w3.org

Now . . .

"close to 100KB" . . .

Susan, surely you are publishing this to an intRAnet ?!?!?!? Literally
_ALL_ the sources on the web say your viewers will be gone from that page -
well - before it finishes loading. It is commonly accepted (and widely
stated) that you have somewhere _less_ than 20 seconds to not only grab
your viewers attention, but to display useful information.

Now . . . With all that said . . .

Obviously it depends on the page and the audience. If you are the IRS you
have a captive audience. If you are publishing to an intRAnet, not only do
you have the captive audience, you have ethernet bandwidth on your side. If
you are publishing to the WWW, and you plan on having modem users view your
page(s), I implore you to rethink that 100K page !

HTH,
Fuzzy