Re: Validator

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 25 Jul 2000 12:12:21 -0400
 To:  "Paul Wilson" <webgooru(at)gte.net>,
<Kassianna(at)WiccanWeb.Net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Pardon me . . .

I think there is a little confusion here.

There is nothing BUT a validator that will tell you whether your page will
display properly in all browsers.

*ALL* the current browser manufacturers write their code to comply with W3
standards - first. The difference is that (at least) the big two ADD to
that basic standard to allow developers to add ADDITIONAL tags and
attributes that add functions or features to a page that "only" the browser
specific code will work in.

Bottom line:

Write to the W3 standards and validate your pages.

Result: *EVERYONE* *EVERYWHERE* _will_ be able to see your pages as designed.

Now . . . . Notice please that CSS is currently "valadatable" but . . .

1) It is not HTML

2) Because it *is not* HTML, browser support is (currently) horrible. Now
*I* wish that wasn't so, CSS is very cool stuff, but the fact is support
for more than text features is terrible - even in 5.X browser versions.

Bottom line (again), If you _depend_ on CSS for any of your sites
functionality, and you are publishing "publicly", you are most likely
making a substantial mistake that will come back to bite you right in the
bank account.

HTH,
Fuzzy