Re: page crashes Netscape - why? - Some final remarks

 Date:  Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:31:16 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I would propose that simply including closing tags _no matter what_ would
be a fast and effective "work around" for this ~browser support~ issue.

I agree that it can be very frustrating for someone "just getting to know"
HTML to figure out in this case what one ~should~ do.

Simply put: There *is no* substitute for experience.

Oh. On a parting note . . . There are times when it is perfectly "ok" to
toss the rule book (not use valid html):

1) Working on an IntRAnet you have complete control over, and knowledge of.
2) When user demographics ~fully~ support the decision.

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. Here comes the flaming personal opinion . . .=20

Very seldom will you ever hear these fingers tell you you _should_ change
browsers. Here is one fine example of the exception . . . Trust me, when
the browser does not comply with the standards for HTML (at such a basic
level as this) it is time to toss it!

At 08:32 PM 8/7/00 +0200, Jakob D=F6lling wrote:
>As usual I am late for the usual reasons ;-)
>
>This debatte showed one of the lacks of HTML : It is allowed for some
>tags not using the closing tag and it is allowed at the same time using
>them. That is the problem of the authors of the HTML-compilers and
>validators: Which closing rule should be applied? Using generally
>closing tags or not?
[ . . .]