Re: NN6 and layers<info request>

 Date:  Mon, 07 Aug 2000 20:02:11 -0400
 To:  Thomas James Allen <tjallen(at)pipeline.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Jim (et al),

Please, don't read anything into this that is not typed . . .

As purely personal curiosity . . .

May I please ask (in broad terms if you choose), what type of presentation
you are preparing that would ~warrant~ this hassle (with layers - as
mentioned below)?

I've looked at layers and because of the hassle(s) you mention, I have
decided *for me* it ain't worth the work. So I'm just curious, you are
~obviously~ knowledgeable enough to have weighed the positives and
negatives of this and (equally as obviously) made the decision for *your*
project it is worth the trouble.

I'm curious!

TIA,
Fuzzy

At 06:25 PM 8/7/00 -0400, Thomas James Allen wrote:
>Are many of you testing your pages in Netscape 6 beta? NN6's rendering
>engine will be used for Netscape's future releases, and anything else that
>uses this engine (like a future AOL browser (10% to 20% of surfers)).
>
>The reason I ask is... layers. Until recently the two major browsers handled
>layers differently. Netscape 4+ used a "layer" tag around the content, while
>IE4+ put a span or div around the content and used a stylesheet to assign it
>a z-level.
>
>To work around this, I used a browser sniffer and had a NN version and an IE
>version of these pages.
[ . . .]