Re: Form - response required?

 Date:  Thu, 17 Aug 2000 20:39:47 -0400
 To:  Tamara Abbey <tamara(at)abbeyink.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Matt's Scripts has a good reputation and I have used some of their stuff in
the past with very acceptable results after the tweaking (as he advertises
will be necessary in many cases).

My exposure to their Form Mail has been limited - very limited, so I can
only speak (even opinion) of the features I see in cgiemail that cause me
to like it so much.

There are two big ones right off the bat:

1) Stability.
The only thing more stable than a *NIX box is a *NIX box running cgiemail.
I (with my own eyes) have seen cgiemail go up on a server and serve a
couple of hundred users without so much as a sneeze for _years_. Many of
those users thought cgiemail's call syntax was something you could make up
as you go along.

2) Syntax simplicity.
For my crusty old circuit head, the language used to call the functions was
easy to learn - it's very . . . "HTML-like".

Don't let my claimed "simplicity" of the syntax fool you. This program can
do an awful lot of cool stuff. I have forms currently running that
~automatically~ update on-line databases via plain old vanilla e-mail. This
"homegrown" idea has proven stable enough for me to be called on by a
couple of state agencies here (I'm in the state's capitol city) to
implement for them.

The flip out when I show up with  FileMaker Pro, Eudora Pro and an invoice
for well into 5 figures :-).

***** Just kidding about the five figures and the two CDs!! *****

But it is practically that easy to do with cgiemail. You can even route the
result to multiple "CC" recipients (including a copy to the sender's e-mail
addy if you want), and display a result page to boot!

Nope. Hope I haven't disappointed any of you, but I am in NO WAY affiliated
or associated in any way with the manufacturers or vendors of the various
applications mentioned in this message. Whew. Was that legalese out of MY
mouth? 'guess I better go get my perscriptionS refilled.

Sea Ya, and HTH,
Fuzzy