Re: Alta Vista re Hard Core Porn

by Rick Alexander <tralexan(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:33:06 -0400
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:38 PM 10/11/00 -0700, you wrote:

>I can certainly understand that they can't prevent the listing but
>the thing that upsets me is AltaVista won't remove it after they are
>made aware of it. Other sites let people write in and report porn
>sites. AltaVista obviously doesn't care about what happens to little
>kids and that is SAD!!

Actually, Alta Vista does have a way of preventing such sites from
appearing. I can't say that it is perfect because I haven't tested it in
depth, but there is a link in the top right corner of the large yellow
search box that allows you to turn on a family filter. Set the filter to
"all" and it keeps the porn sites away. You can add a password for changing
the settings.

I did a search for "XXX" with the filter on and got no porn sites in the
first few pages I reviewed.

--rick

Rick Alexander
Eighthday Web Design & Hosting Services