Re: Graphics/Text Overlap . . . and the DTD

 Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:08:38 -0500
 To:  Jim Tom Polk <jtpolk(at)texas.net>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 10:18 AM 11/21/00 -0600, Jim Tom Polk wrote:
>You are referring to the default DTD, which is as you noted, proprietary
>to SoftQuad. It incorporates HTML elements that are commonly used by the
>major browsers out there. For instance, one commonly used ''extension''
>that renders a page invalid is setting the margins of a web page with
>attributes to the boldy element. It is necessary since using the
>perferred method (CSS) does not work reliably and does work with the
>newer browsers that I know of.

This I believe is known as a "browser specific" element. Easily validated
using a MSIE DTD. I'm sure you already know that. For the newbies out there
I would like to add that if you do put in a correct DTD statement (in this
case MSIE's) other browsers DO know how to interpret it without "loosing
their lunch" - in the case of NN - it simply (successfully) ignores
that/those elements.

On a side note, I include a plea for solid CSS (and XML) support in my bed
time prayers every night. Unfortunately, The Boss seems to busy to listen
right now.

I think the real key here is that DTD statement. That makes all the
difference in the world to the browser rendering the page. *IF* the proper
DTD is present, it recognizes quickly that the page will contain elements
it is unable to render and simply ignores them . . . well, in theory anyway.

One item is really important here:
1) It is a known (ratified) DTD (yes, that actually does allow you to
create your own, if you know how)

The improper DTD, or NO DTD, leaves the browser guessing how to render the
element(s) - which, to the credit of the manufacturers - the browser does
*try* to render (that is usually what results in the crash or freezing of
the machine/OS).

>Anyway, you can also create pages, by default, by specifing that you
>want to use HTML 4.01 strict, transitional or frameset as the default
>template, rather than the SoftQuad proprietary template and DTD, in the
>options for the site.
>
>With that change, then one cannot write invalid HTML, at least according
>to those DTD's.

Cool !! the only problem I see with that is the novice user that gets a ton
of errors using a "real" DTD is most likely (in MY opinion only) going to
try another one. As I believe you pointed out . . . the "default" DTD in
HMPro will allow the user to create all kinds of junk, that can trash a
viewers experience - if not system. But . . . that sure does make it easy
for a novice to create a page that "validates" just fine (but ONLY within
the software used to create ~that~ page, which they will not realize if
they do not read this list)!

Happy Turkey Day (pending) everyone,
Fuzzy.