Re: Browser Features

 Date:  Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:43:20 -0500
 To:  "IceWolf" <icewolf(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:03 PM 12/6/00 -0500, IceWolf wrote:
>Does anyone know of a place which lists what features
>are supported by what browsers?

Uuummm. Not exactly. I'm so old I remember waiting anxiously when all those
"old" browsers first came out - so I could take full advantage of the
cutting edge stuff allowed under HTML 2.0, so it's kinda like a "first
kiss" for me - I just remember it.

>And related to this (and another thread), as far as coding for the least
>common denominator - how on earth can you check to make sure that your site
>looks good (or reasonable, at least) in ancient browsers?

Oh my Goodness !!!! Of all the repetitive questions that circulate and
circulate through this list, *that* is one I never get tired of answering
(who could have guessed !?!?!).

It is *real* easy Ice.

First: DO NOT use a "transitional" DTD ~ever~.

Second: go to http://validator.w3.org

and submit the exact URL of the page in question. When the return says:

"Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

    No errors found!
Congratulations, this document validates [. . . ]"

You can bet your weekly wages _any_ web browser, new or old,  will be able
to deal with your page(s) without "blowing up".

Pretty easy huh!

HTH,
Fuzzy