Re: Search Engine Placement

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Dec 2000 12:22:11 -0500
 To:  <ppajunen(at)primary.net>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Pam,

This is one of the most ' opinion filled ' topics around, so rather than
just adding my voice I'll share what I have found works _very_ well over
the years:

FIRST (and I mean ~first~) identify all the key words and terms your
targeted user is "most likely" to use to find your product or service.

Then . . .

Simply use those terms and phrases as often as you can without sounding
~really~ stupid (a little is ok) ****** in context ***** in the body of
your document(s).

Now, you *can* surely use META elements to "help" on some search services,
and a hundred other things, and I'm not saying *any* of those things are
bad. But, based on _years_ of following this issue, I still find pages I
wrote 5 or six years ago ranking in the top 10 returns - searching for
"generic" terms, and most with no META elements included (I didn't even
know what those were 6 years ago!).

HTH,
Fuzzy