Re: image maps

 Date:  Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:01:02 -0500
 To:  shawn(at)sportsstuff.com,
html list <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Aw come on Shawn, some of us *live* to debate WYSIWYG -vs- Hand Coding !!

But . . . anyway,

Client side image maps are pretty universally supported back to the good
old 3.x versions of the big two. ~several~ of the "little guys" supported
then even farther back than that. This is another example of the browser
guys lagging behind - like CSS support is right now.

I should mention that there is more than one type of image map: Client Side
and Server Side.

Server side will work on any browser that will display a graphic - to the
very best of my knowledge (AOHell even used them in it's very first release!).

Hand coding either type of map is a ~serious~ pain in the butt, because of
the need for X and Y coordinates - a BUNCH of them. Hand coding requires an
additional image program that will give you these coordinates (usually
based on the current position of the cursor) such as PSP or Photoshop.

Needless to say, being the anal retentive human hybrid that I am, I did
both types of maps by hand for *years*. Until I discovered this little
FREEWARE Windows app named; MapThis! The discovery was enough to actually
make me want to use Windows! . . . well, sorta.

You can get it at:
http://winfiles.cnet.com/apps/98/webauth-imap.html

although, and I guess I'm dating myself again, I understand it has been
replaced by a new program named LiveImage (available at the same URL). I
fell in love with MapThis! because of the fact that it doesn't create ~any~
script except that necessary to actually define the map and it creates both
types of maps, using either .jpg or .gif images.

Now . . . as for MAC image map editors . . . see above about "pain in the
butt". To my knowledge there is no equivalent for the MAC (yes, I have
looked a couple of times).

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. Heck no, I have no connection to MapThis! except being a happy user of
their product.