Re: Scamming the Engines...

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Dec 2000 13:18:44 -0500
 To:  ErthWlkr(at)aol.com
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
>fit into this chicanery?
[ . . .]
>- Jeff K.

Well, I just ran across one entirely reasonable reason to do this.

A vendor who chooses to sell two or more competing products. The
manufacturers of these products are locked in a heated battle for
domination of the market segment. They "hate" each other and pretty much
prohibit their vendors from putting their products on the same ads with
their competitors.

My client really couldn't give a hoot who dominates the market. Both
manufacturers produce quality products and my client actually markets the
high end of one line and the mid to low end  of the others - so they are
not even really competing in this case!

What we chose to do was to create two complete ~separate~ "subdomains" of
their main site none of which were connected to the other in any way to
represent these two product lines.

Well, that was easy enough. The problem came when it was time to submit
these new "areas" to the search engines and directory services.

Because they came off the root domain, the services "said" they had already
indexed the site - but had not. Know what I mean? Look ===>

Http://www.vendor.com
Http://www.vendor.com/productA
Http://www.vendor.com/productB

were all part of the same site as far as the services were concerned.
Because they had indexed "Http://www.vendor.com" they thought they had the
whole site.

~Wrong~ !!

The . . . most reasonable . . . way to fix this seems to be to put
"invisible" links on the index page of Http://www.vendor.com to make the
connection to the other areas for the spiders, but keep them invisible to
consumers . . . or P.I.T.A. manufacturers.

HTH,
Fuzzy
P.S. The BG colored text really ticks me off. MAN I hate cheaters.