Re: email re-direct

 Date:  Fri, 29 Dec 2000 12:07:45 -0500
 To:  shawn(at)sportsstuff.com,
html list <hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Shawn,

That *really* depends on the mail server software, and your access to it.

The technical name for what you are wanting to do is "create aliases" and
in this case, redirect that alias traffic to a "mailing list". It would
appear that what your ISP is doing is creating the alias for you (makes
sense as that *is* a Server Administration task) and allowing you access to
the actual list file that alias is referenced to.

Honestly, it is unlikely your ISP will allow you access to the mail server
~administration~ tools required to create the actual alias that you want to
address with the list you create.

As a work around, if mail server administration access turns out to be a
real problem, perhaps you could consider setting up a list-serve. There are
several FREE list hosting services - some are over priced - but I won't get
into that here. I host several discussion list on several different types
of services, if you would like more information on that . . . I guess you
need to mail me off list . . . as I'm pretty opinionated about some of
those services (who would have guessed THAT ?!?!?!) and it really has
~nothing~ to do with HTML.

HTH,
Fuzzy.