Re: handhelds, and really scary

 Date:  Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:54:27 -0500
 To:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Barbara,

1) HECK yes, there will *always* be a demand for "plain old" web developers.

2) Don't sell yourself short.

If you can spell WYSIWUG, you can learn and use PHP and XML - it is not
rocket science, it is just intimidating looking. Remember the first time
you saw source code? Just like that. Oh, as a side note, if you view a PHP
page on the web, you will not see the source code, only the product of your
source code (remember, the page you are viewing is a result of the page you
posted - not the page you posted).

Only down side I can see is fault tolerance. I can't speak for XML, but I
can tell you for sure if it ain't ~exactly~ right, PHP will not work.

Take a look at:

http://www.cccyclists.org/

Once you get past the index page, all the stuff you see is generated
dynamically using PHP.

No. I did not code the site.

HTH,
Fuzzy.

At 07:41 PM 1/9/01 -0500, Barbara Money wrote:
>All I wanted to do was create something attractive and useful and easy
>to use, and now all this talk of XML, and WML (what is that, anyway?),
>and what Carol just said about web designers becoming redundant with all
>this simple WYSIWYG software around, life for a web designer is really
>scary. I think I'm too old to learn these new technologies (not really,
>it's more of a time factor, due to my day job), and anyway, I learn
>better in a structured classroom atmosphere than just a web class,
>though they have their own advantages.
[ . . .]