Re: Netscape & tables

 Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:04:01 -0500
 To:  "Lauri Vain" <optima(at)hot.ee>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Lauri,

In a word: Yes.

I haven't seen NN 6 in action yet (and don't want to judging by the
complaints I have heard), but ~all~ preceding versions of NN have had this
weird thing about spaces in tables. For instance, netscape hates spaces
between an ending TD and the next beginning TD in a table row ie:

<.td>foo<./td><.td>more foo</td>

renders reliably.

<.td>foo<./td>       <.td>more foo</td>

or

	<.td>foo<./td>

		<.td>more foo</td>

will render weird spacing anomalies pretty regularly. I have (literally)
opened a page up containing this type of spacing between cells on 30 _____
identical _____ computers sitting side by side running the same version on
NN and seen the page display differently on ~each~ of them. Really, no
exaggeration at all. It's spooky. Don't get me wrong, the pages are not
"mangled" - but the spacing "weirdness" between elements is definitely
noticeable - especially to the developer and the client that is paying them
:-).

This spacing issue is easiest to see when you are doing something like
splicing image parts together in a table to make one big picture, or
creating a one column table for navigation buttons to run down the side of
the screen.

On nested tables . . .

It has been my observation that NN does seem to stumble a little with
nested tables. Especially complex nested tables. I can not say I have seen
it refuse to display nested tables (well . . .  after version 3.0 anyway),
but again having the opportunity to see labs full of computers working side
by side, I can say that based on my observation NN 4 (and later) are very
noticeably slower than say MSIE 4.X when rendering complex nested tables.

FWIW, HTH, Sianara and all that stuff,
Fuzzy.