Re: More DTD

 Date:  Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:14:23 -0500
 To:  "James Roberts" <jamiergroberts(at)hotmail.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>,
"Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
James,

Personally? About 90% of my work validates as 3.2, when I don't use that, I
use 4.0 strict.

It's not nearly as much of a PITA when you realize that ~not~ using that
stuff it complains about is a good thing, it makes your files dependable
and reliable - and viewable by a LOT more people.

If you'll use SSI for the bells and whistles rather than some browser
specific . . . stuff, you'll find the number of browsers that can
see/interact/enjoy your work will shoot through the roof.

Really. If you feel the "need" to include the mouseovers, the music, the
flying toasters, use SSI in some form (besides .asp, it sucks worse than a
transitional dtd).

Did you know that you can do mouseovers and make things fly across the
screen in browsers as far back as NN 2.0 *if you use SSI*?

No? Most folks don't but none the less, it's a fact.

The "problem" with this is simply the brain power needed on the part of the
coder.

There ain't no PERL WYSIWYG editors! so it is not a very popular option
with the majority of people thinking themselves "web developers" these days.

In closing, I did a quick survey this morning:

Of the nine computers currently running in my kitchen, 2 have an even
number of SIMMs inserted. The machine I'm currently typing on has a single
72 pin 128 MB non parity EDO simm in slot "0".

Now, with that said . . .

The number/type/arrangement of memory that any given mother board will work
with varies greatly from machine to machine.

I have about 150 brand new Dell Optiplexes that will accept (hell, they
came with) a single RAM simm. *ANY* memory _ added _ to those machines must
be done in pairs. In other words, a single simm (dimm) will work in slot
"0", *any* other application besides a single module in slot "0" requires
modules to be paired. Now, I'm sure you can see this picture:

In a year I upgrade the memory in those machines. Now you take a look in
there and what do you find? *Three* SIMMS (dimms).

**EVERYONE** knows you can't do odd numbers of chips !!! They gotta be
singular or IN PAIRS!

:-)
Fuzzy
P.S. I mail ordered the ~single~ 64 MB chip I wanted for my customer, and
his little NT box is ripping along . . . well, for an NT box anyway ;-).
P.S.S. Don't you tell ~anyone~ I was working on an NT box, it might damage
my reputation beyond recovery!