Re: page layout for all monitors

 Date:  Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:20:26 -0500
 To:  rashunda(at)mindspring.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Rashunda,

Welcome !!

I do not know if your editor will allow you to see the code directly or
not. If it will, here is what you need to do:

See this line?
<.TABLE BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 WIDTH=844>

(I put the period at the beginning. You will see a lot of that here, it
makes the code show up in e-mail, just remove it before you paste it into
your web page)

it needs to be changed to this:

<.TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="100%">

(do not forget to take that pesky period out)

Additionally, add up all your defined table or table cell widths. "Fixed"
widths should total more than *about* 400.

This will make more sense if you look at what we just did to fix your page
above. The width was "fixed" at 844. That is a heck of a lot wider than
*most* people can see on their monitors if you look at the world as a
whole. On the other hand, by changing that "fixed" number to a percentage
(of the total width available), in this case 100%, the page will
automagically resize to fit anyones screen.

I suggest "400" for a maximum total fixed width because there really and
truly are still a ~lot~ of people looking at the Internet on small monitors
. . . real small monitors.

Think about the poor people with lap tops !

Now, with alllll that said there is a trick learned from experience I would
like to pass along.

If you keep careful count on your fixed width things, you can very often
not define a width for your table at all. Then it will shrink up to fit
just the things you have on the page, and no bigger.

Of course, then all of a sudden you will notice your whole darned page
sitting waaay over on the left side of the screen. To fix that you do this:

Just before this line: <.TABLE BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0">

Put this:
<.div align="center">
(do not forget to take that pesky period out)

Now. Waaaaaaaaay down there somewhere in all that gobbledygook is this:

<./table>

Right after that, put this : </div>

Save the file now.

Viola !!

Now your page is centered on ALL monitors, no matter how large or small
they may be.

HTH,
Fuzzy

At 06:58 PM 1/23/01 -0500, rashunda(at)mindspring.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>  My name is Rashunda Tramble.  I'm new to the list and new to web page
building.  I have a question. I use Net Objects Fusion 4 on my website. I
would like for my site to show up "centered" on each visitors monitor, not
just on ones that can handle more pixels (at least I "think" that's what my
problem is.  You see, when some folks land on my site, they get the scroll
bar on the bottom and they have to scroll to the right. That's not what I
want.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about?  If so, is there a
solution?  Check out my site at http://www.rashundatramble.com to see what
I'm talking about.