Overhaul - was "James Roberts"

 Date:  Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:01:30 -0500
 To:  "sfmalo" <sfmalo(at)msn.com>,
"Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
 Cc:  <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>, <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Sharon,

This is home turf for me Sharon. This is what my business was built on and
thrives on to this day - just *exactly* this type of situation.

Because of that, I do indeed have some ideas, and some rather strong
opinions (who would have guessed that!).

First, whoever has been giving you that advise about using 4.X transitional
DTD's and CSS? Do not EVER turn your back on them - ever.

That was just EXACTLY what you should avoid doing like the PLAGUE if you
want this site to work reliably in the situation you have described.

I hate when that happens. That is why I always spend so many words in my
post here. Trying to get folks to understand the way the world works
outside their little boxes, and it AIN'T on transitional DTD's and CSS !!!!!

Here is how *I* would fix this - take it for what it is worth:

Find an editor that will strip code (Home Site 2.5 comes to mind), and set
it loose on that folder full of . . . stuff and let it do it's job.

Then build the look and feel you want using a 4.x STRICT or (even better) a
3.2 final DTD and "pour" (copy and paste) the remnants from your stripped
files into the templates you just made.

Then go back and dress it up (cosmetically and editorially).

Then, the most important part, hire an armed guard to escort you to the
bank to cash that OBSCENE check you just earned.

HTH,
Fuzzy
<has custom 45 Colt, will travel for "obscene" things!>