Re: topmargin/leftmargin validation

 Date:  Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:58:49 -0500
 To:  "HWGBASICS" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
!! Fuzzy Alarm Bell !! !! Fuzzy Alarm Bell !!

Ted sez: "On the FrontPage list, the generally accepted workaround for this
problem is
>to purchase FP2000 and then set it to allow code only supported by BOTH IE
>and NN. Sure--you'll lose a few features but you can post pages that 90+% of
>the surfers can view. And the slick part that seems to escape most of us--is
>that FrontPage "validated" the code as it was written."

Then Ted sez:
">Though it causes Fuzzy to clear his throat rather audibly, it has been
>pointed out time and again, that having code that validates is no guarantee
>that both major browsers will display it in the manner you intended."

If you write to a *ratified* DTD (that means 4.x STRICT or 3.2 STRICT),
neither DTD allows you to insert _ any _ manufacturer's browser proprietary
code. Because you can not USE that code in the first place, I can't see how
you can draw the conclusion that even though you use "real" code the other
browser may not render it as you intended. We all know NN doesn't
particularly like to render tables, and it particularly does not like
malformed element definitions, but it *does* render (3.2 or 4.x STRICT)
standards compliant tables reliably and predictably. The same is true for
MSIE and Opera and . . . (which I might point out enables you to present to
a much bigger audience than just "the big two").

Are you saying that if I define a table as "width="100"" and validate that
code some browsers that support tables will not be able to render a table
100 wide?

On the other hand . . .

You can *bet* that if you set margins on that table one of the other
browsers will ~not~ display that margin attribute as expected and ~ may ~
not display the table or it's contents at all. Now that, is a fact I am
clear on, and can reproduce at will for testing.

I'm confused. Of course, I'm Fuzzy too :-).