Re: Doctype, Doctype, who got the Doctype?

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:00:13 -0500
 To:  "Villano,
Paul" <VillanoP(at)usachcs-emh1.army.mil>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul,

I'll bet you already know the answer to your own question, but what da heck:

The only way (I can see) is to gain enough familiarity with the dialects of
the language to be able to recognize them on sight. I would not suggest
this had you not stressed that you have quite a number of documents
generated (and modified) by many different editors. The "trial and error"
method (of pasting in a random DTD and validating it) seems quite
unreasonable.

But I guess you could just use the 4.X transitional, Lord knows there is
very little that isn't covered under that placebo umbrella <wink>.

BTW, *not* all editors change/modify you code when you open a file in them.
As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen an ASCII text editor
(of any brand name) change a file.

HTH,
Fuzzy.