Re: W3C Validation: Why won't HotMetal "DTD" HTLM validate?

 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:40:01 -0500
 To:  Jay Smith <jay(at)JaySmith.com>,
HWG Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:19 PM 2/13/01 -0500, Jay Smith wrote:
>In the past, I have asked on this list for an explanation of the
>DOCTYPE line. I have gotten a number of replies, but none of them
>REALLY seems to address my question.
>
>What does this DOCTYPE line DO for HTML pages?  Who/what uses it?
>When?  How?

***Conceptually****

The DTD identifies the "flavor" of markup the browser is about to encounter.

That is why a DTD is a REQUIRED part of an HTML document (notice - no
"concept" disclaimers on this one).

***Conceptually****
the browser uses this information to enable it to properly render the
document.

***Conceptually****
if the browser does not understand the DTD, it is ***Conceptually****
supposed to be able to go to the URI in that DTD and FIND the rules it
needs to render the page properly.

***Conceptually****.

Now, as to why no WYSIWUG editor "conforms" out of the box is quite simple
in my opinion:

If the manufacturer put "Is not capable of building reliable web sites
without the users intimate knowledge of HTML" and "You can NOT create every
bell or whistle you have ever see on the web with this editor and have it
work reliably if at all" on the box, they would not sell nearly as many as
if they say, "Anyone can write full featured web pages with OUR fine
editor." and then create some bogus DTD to make the page work in the
browser that is already on YOUR computer so that you can see the page well
enough to build it. Or, they bundle the one browser that *usually* doesn't
choke on their editor's code in with the editor and include the dtd they
need in to *that* browser.

Don't laugh it off so quickly. It is effective and profitable.

The down side is, people believe that type of marketing sometimes. Smart
People. People right here on this very list.

HTH,
Fuzzy.