RE: W3C Validation

 Date:  Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:01:18 -0500
 To:  jtrimble(at)vartec.net
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Julie,

I pretty much just have one thought: She's mistaken.

>From what you have read on this list (from folks who write HTML not books)
I sure you can easily find *original* reference text (http://w3.org) that
will confirm that *according to the ratified standards for the HTML* a DTD
is very definitely required.

Now, combine that with what *your personal* understanding of the DTD's
function in the browser is (also easily gleaned from this list in the last
day or two), and I have to think you have to agree.

She is mistaken.

Now, whether a browser will function, or function *properly*, when
rendering a document containing no DTD is encountered . . . is another
subject all together.

HTH,
Fuzzy.