Re: Anchor tags: what is the standard?

 Date:  Thu, 15 Feb 2001 21:52:26 -0500
 To:  Complex <complex_hwg(at)yahoo.com>,
HWG Basics <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:48 PM 2/15/01 -0800, Complex wrote:

>The problem is that the second I touch (or was it slightly alter?) ANY
>anchor WYSIWYG tool in GoLive 4, all of the anchor tag pairs get
>altered back to having nothing inside them! That includes any
>containing non-breaking spaces, periods, or images.

I must say up front that I do not use this editor. I have never used this
editor.
But that sure as heck sounds like a good old fashioned "application
problem". Now those I do know.

>The real question is, what is the w3c-defined standard. I can't make
>heads or tails of the w3c docs. I just want to know how much of this to
>lay at GoLive's feet. I want to know if this is a Netscape 6 bug-up or
>a display of adhesion to the true and holy Standard. But mostly I just
>wanna know.

Straight scoop from the Fuzz: All versions of HTML I am even a little
familiar with REQUIRE a value in that container.

I can see how it could be debated whether NBSP is a "value" or not given
that it *represents* empty space. I could only offer opinion on that, so I
won't :-).

>Of course, any GoLive gods who know how to force GoLive to stop doing
>this (perhaps through the Dictionary thing?), please speak up!

Well, you know me Complex. I'd probably start by talking nice and dropping
a quarter in the floppy drive. If that didn't work, I'd probably get a big
stick and beat the crap out of it.

HTH,
Fuzzy.