Re: Image Question

by Chuck & Karen <ckcs(at)neptune.on.ca>

 Date:  Thu, 11 May 2000 18:45:52 -0400
 To:  "HWG-Basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Mr. Cates!

A good rule of thumb to follow when working with images:

If the image contains line art or blocks of colours (i.e. company logos)
use a gif

If the image is photographic in nature use a jpg

Like all rules, this one can be broken but the goal is to come up with the
smallest file size while maintaining an acceptable level of image quality.
When in doubt, try saving your image as both gif and jpg, and compare the
resulting file size/image quality. With respect to your specific site
description, I'm not sure what you mean by "ad style" but for the text
based images, you'll probably find that gif format works best.

HTH,
Karen Calow
Member, HTML Writers Guild
http://www.jobskills.org<----"I made this!"