Re: Legality of Linking

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 08 Aug 1999 13:54:26 +1000
 To:  Jim Tom Polk <jtpolk(at)texas.net>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 17:13 7/08/99 -0500, Jim Tom Polk wrote:
>Ok, pulling information from another server causes server load. If a
>thousand people linked to a graphic, and each of those thousand people
>had that graphic hit 100 times a day, then that server so linked would
>have 100,000 ''hits'' per day.
>
>With explicit permission or instructions, that is a form of theft (see
>below)

Agreed!

>I think the same thing can be said about any site that does such ''deep
>links''.

Afraid I disagree here!

I don't know about the rest of you folks but I have a hard time EVER
finding anything on the microsoft site!  I suppose I could be cynical and
say it's due to the browser I use :-)

When you link to a LARGE site, it is preferable for your visitors to link
directly to the page required, rather than letting them search the linked
site for half an hour before eventually giving up!

e.g. If you want to find out how to incorporate PERL with PWS - just look
at www.microsoft.com !!!
(BTW - if anyone actually finds the reference - please let me know - I gave
up after several hours of searching)

Just playing devil's advocate here :)

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au