Re: carriage return VS new line

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:02:45 +1000
 To:  goshadow(at)islandnet.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:04 16/08/99 -0700, goshadow(at)islandnet.com wrote:
>My question is (and I have tried to ascertain what does what)
>how can i be sure i am only kicking out a newline character?  Is
>that done be default in notepad?

My understanding is that it was notepad automatically added both newline
and carraige return characters at the end of each line, but the FTP client
stripped out the unwanted characters - PROVIDED the file was uploaded in
ASCII/text format!  At least, it works that way on my PC :)

As far as testing is concerned, I think the ASCII for linefeed is 10, and
return in 13.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au