Re: Very Basic Question

by Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries(at)>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:48:31 -0400
 To:  Mac Fenwick <macfenwick(at)>,
"hwg-basics(at)" <hwg-basics(at)>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:17 AM 9/8/99 -0400, Mac Fenwick wrote:
>Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the <DIV> tag? Not the
>logic that drove it's creation in the first place, but the logic that it
>follows within the HTML code.

I think of it as being like big parentheses ...

<DIV align="center">
whole lots of stuff
going on for lines and lines

Everything between is subject to the contents of the DIV, unless overridden
locally. You could use it, for example, to set up a section of paragraphs
that were all single spaced instead of double. Or to do an indented
block-quote kind of section with some complex stuff in it.

The other way I think of it is is, Oh, well, so that's how you do it. OK,
I'll get over it ... ;->