Re: Very Basic Question

by Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries(at)acm.org>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Sep 1999 08:48:31 -0400
 To:  Mac Fenwick <macfenwick(at)home.com>,
"hwg-basics(at)hwg.org" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 07:17 AM 9/8/99 -0400, Mac Fenwick wrote:
>Can someone please explain to me the logic behind the <DIV> tag? Not the
>logic that drove it's creation in the first place, but the logic that it
>follows within the HTML code.

I think of it as being like big parentheses ...

<DIV align="center">
whole lots of stuff
going on for lines and lines
</DIV>

Everything between is subject to the contents of the DIV, unless overridden
locally. You could use it, for example, to set up a section of paragraphs
that were all single spaced instead of double. Or to do an indented
block-quote kind of section with some complex stuff in it.

The other way I think of it is is, Oh, well, so that's how you do it. OK,
I'll get over it ... ;->

Ron