Re: Word/FrontPage/HTML

by Christopher Higgs <cjhiggs(at)mail.mpx.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Dec 1999 17:23:29 +1100
 To:  Johnst(at)memo.acehardware.com,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I am working on converting a manual that was created in Word 97 (using a
>template, styles, & autotext) over to HTML.

My commiserations.  (I'm trying REAL HARD not to say "sucker!!" :)

>If I save the document as an
>HTML file and open it in FrontPage 2000, the format is very garbled.  Extra
>tags are listed along with a great deal of empty space/lines.  Has anyone
>ever converted a Word document, using a template, over to HTML & worked on
>editing it in FrontPage?  I'd appreciate any input.

You mention using 97 - my experience is that the "conversion" process takes
ABSOLUTELY NO ACCOUNT of templates and styles - the resulting code is all
based on FONT tags.  I guess it was too much to expect Heading 1 to degrade
into <H1> *sigh*

Someone has already mentioned DW3 - I haven't experienced that yet,
although I have seen a preview.

I do extensive search/replace on font tags with Super Notetab
(http://www.notetab.com) but if you have to deal with bullets/numbered
lists - suggest PDF format to them!

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/

My beach-time countdown is over - I'm totally sunburnt :(