Re: Last Question, I Promise!

by Christopher Higgs <cjhiggs(at)mail.mpx.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 30 Dec 1999 19:52:32 +1100
 To:  Gwen Harrison <gh(at)advancedresumes.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Gwen :)

Don't ever promise it's the last question!!  Asking questions is the only
way to learn!!

At 08:21 pm 29/12/99 -0500, Gwen Harrison wrote:
>I've seen web sites where, upon loading certain pages,
>the "back" and "forward" buttons (or their equivalent, if you're not
>using Netscape) of your browser are disabled. How is this done?

Are you talking about sites that launch their own window without the
toolbar available?
I can probably dig up instructions if this is what you are after.

> My
>objective is, on certain pages of my site, to force visitors to make a
>choice between two options, and click on the appropriate button, with
>the end result being I get an e-mail indicating their choice. I know how
>to set up the e-mail; I just don't know how to disable the "back" and
>"forward" buttons on the browser.

Unless this is for an intranet, hijacking users into a fixed response isn't
user-friendly, and about the quickest way to discourage users from
returning to your site.  Do they have to answer the same question again and
again and again...

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/

My beach-time countdown is over - I'm totally sunburnt :(