Re: Dinosaurs

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:36:58 -0600
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

ahhhh..but what happens when the code *doesn't* do exactly what is required
or it looks fine in IE and terrible in Netscrape ?

If you have no coding knowledge, how do you fix it and if you don't need to
even look at the code, how do you know there isn't a ton of useless stuff
in there than will make the entire site fall over sometime down the track
when browsers get even fussier about how they interpret code ?

It's a bit like saying...well heck, here comes Win95/98 etc., now I don't
have to know anything about DOS. No, you don't...but if it totally falls
apart at the seams...can you fix it without spending hours completely
reinstalling everything you own ? ...the answer is no :)

My point is that it's best to be able to fly the plane manually as well as
know how to turn on autopilot :)

Just my 2cents.

Kym

At 11:38 AM 03/22/2000 -0500, Steven Antonio wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I've just had an un-nerving experience.
>
>For the past couple of years I have become very familiar with the latest
>specifications of HTML and as a result, been able to hand code HTML and fix
>others' code fairly efficiently.  This has become a source of pride and
>enjoyment for me and a great advocate of W3C's efforts.
>
>However...... I recently was able to convert a Word Perfect document
>DIRECTLY to HTML using Microsoft Word. Then I ran TIDY on the code and had
>it clean it up to XHTML 1.0 standard.  I then ran it through the W3C's
>online validator and it validated perfectly the first time!  I never touched
>the code!
>
>Then a couple of days later, I attended a free Macromedia seminar in
>Philadelphia where they showed what their product can do.  I was very
>impressed.  They have very powerful tools that definitely expedite the
>development process and let you do things that would take forever any other
>way. All this and the user doesn't seem to need to know any code but has
>access to it from within their tools if you want it.
>
>Between these powerful tools and the TIDY program, I'm left wondering if
>their is really any need for people with the knowledge to hand code web
>pages.  If I continue with my present track will I become the way of the
>dinosaurs.  Any thoughts?
>
>Steve Antonio
>santonio(at)delanet.com

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html