Re: Inline Frames: Change of(f) Topic NS6

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Fri, 14 Apr 2000 08:29:34 +0930
 To:  Jim Tom Polk <jtpolk(at)texas.net>,
hwg-basics(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

Jim,

I realize that your intent was serious and you said it beautifully,
bravo!!!!!....BUT...

ROFLMAO.....

That's about the *best* post I've read in a long time...I *heard* every
word as I read...gawd! I *miss* Texas...

Do you own a Ricky Ricardo jacket too ? ...hahaha

Kym

At 04:38 PM 04/13/2000 -0500, Jim Tom Polk wrote:
>Let's see, if one does not cater to a browser that is, as you stated, 18
>percent of the market, well that means that a maximum of 18 out of 100
>people might be P.O.'d at your site.
>
>>   As far as my stats go, 18% are Netscape Users, I have far more on WebTV
>and
>> I do not cater to the Netscape crowd.  They are the minority and I do not
>> cater to them. BTW, even in the beginning when I did cater to them, they
>were
>> only 6% of the crowd. That should say something on Netscape.
>

>Let's be generous, and say that most of that 18 percent of ''other
>browser'' users don't mind the difference (being generous), so let's say
>that only 5 percent of the people get P.O.'d at your site.
>
>So, that is only 5 out of a 100 users that get P.O.'d at your site.
>
>A trifing number, right??
>
>Now I'm going to assume that this is a business site. I'll make another
>assumption, that over the course of a year you have 1,000,000 visitors
>to the home page.
>
>Now run the numbers:
>
>5 percent of 1,000,000 visitors equals 50,000 potential customers that
>are now P.O'd at said site, or company.
>
>But what if one uses technology that really blows up in that 18 percent
>of the ''other browser'', rendering the site radically unuseful, then
>the number of P.O.'d (i.e. lost clients, lost sales, lost revenue) goes
>up, given that we have 1,000,000 visitors a year to the home page, to
>180,000 customers.
>
>Using those figures directly above, let's make another assumption, that
>5 percent of visitors to the site are converted to customers, and each
>customer spends an average of 50 dollars.
>
>So, 5 percent of 180,000 customer equals $450,000 dollars of lost
>revenue.
>
>****
>
>The reason I run the numbers like this is I used to be a car salesman,
>and I used to run them in the OPPOSITE direction to take the ''sting''
>out of a customer's initial sticker shock.
>
>If they were looking at a 30,000 automobile, and were going to pay cash,
>I would ask them how long they would own the car. I got pretty good at
>doing the numbers in my head while standing in a blazing Texas sun.
>
>''Hey, it ain't so bad. You are going to keep this car for 5 years,
>aren't you?'' Customer agrees. ''Well then, that only comes out to be 16
>dollars a day! About what you would spend for meal.'' Then I would get
>excited. ''Wow, that come out to be about 70 cents per hour or about 11
>and 1/2 cents per hour to own this fine car over the next 5 years.
>Pretty good deal when you think of it that way, isn't is?''
>
>If the customer agreed and I was feeling really comfortable, I would run
>some anaylsis that we both knew to be totally bogus, but got people
>laughing, like:
>
>''Well then, since chewing gum costs about 10 cents a stick, then all
> [...]

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html