Re: (1)not able to create .html files and 2) disappearing graphics

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:10:12 +0930
 To:  "Steven Antonio" <santonio(at)delanet.com>,
"hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Steve,

Yes, I saw your reply not long after I sent mine and yes, I am talking about:

It's clunky and I agree not strictly correct and I guess I'm doing what a
lot of others are doing and hoping that it all won't fall in a heap some
time down the track...but of course, there are no guarantees.

The other thing that interests me is "layering" of backgrounds in tables.

I'm currently playing around with using tables to have two, three or more
different colored/textured/patterned backgrounds on a page. That is, a base
background, followed by a textured "border", another border of the original
background and the "center" white for the actual content of the page.

So far, after much fiddling with cellpadding and cellspacing, I can get it
to work in both IE and Netscape
by creating a separate table for each background and putting all the
"content" into the white and final centered table.

I have a friend who *insists* that putting multiple tables like this into
one page is asking for trouble

What are your thoughts....?

Kym

At 01:16 AM 04/27/2000 -0400, Steven Antonio wrote:
>> >A(2) If you are using a graphic to be a background in a table cell,
>> >Navigator won't render it because it is not valid HTML.  However,
>Internet
>> >Explorer allows it and AOL uses the IE browser.
>>
>> Steve, I've used graphic backgrounds in table cells and they render just
>> fine in Netscape 4.6 and the preview V6.0 and even in Opera :))))  I also
>> ran the page through Browserola and true, none of the Versions up to 4.0
>> worked whilst IE from V3.0 worked just fine as you said.
>>
>> If you are going to use background layers on a page, I don't know how else
>> you would go about it...but I'm certainly no expert and yes, I ran it
>> through Homesite's validator too, and got no errors :)
>>
>> Did I miss the point somewhere ?
>
>Kym,
>
>No you didn't.  A short while after I had posted that message, I realized
>that I had made a mistake and a few hours later (couldn't get back to the
>computer sooner) I posted a partial retraction.  I'm assuming by now you've
>seen it.  As far as an alternate method, I don't know of one either.... but
>it is still incorrect HTML.  I'm suprised Opera renders it!  :-(  If you run
>any of your pages that contain a background image in a table data cell
>through W3C's validator, it will flag it.  And, in anticipation that you may
>think the validator isn't working properly, you won't find it anywhere in
>the HTML 4.01 spec.  Just to make sure we're on the same page <g>, we're
>talking about something like <td background="image.gif"> right?
>
>hope this clears up things,
>Steven A.

Never slap a man that is chewin' t'baccy....

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit our garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html