Re: ZIP File Problem

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Mon, 22 May 2000 20:20:56 +0930
 To:  "Consult-Eco" <stevemc(at)consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk>,
"HTML W.G. \(Basics\)" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  "HTML W.G. \(Techniques\)" <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

Steve,

I just went to the site using Netscape 4.7 and IE5.0 and the .zip files
download just fine.

I have to say that the page took ages to load and when I saw the length of
them, I wasn't surprised. Do you really have to have so much on one page.
The delay could be at my end given that this time of the day is pretty busy
on the net, but even so, that's one heck of a page lengthwise.

Just my 2cents.

Kym

At 05:13 PM 05/22/2000 , Consult-Eco wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I hope you can help me with this problem, it is getting me down.
>
>I have a web-page with a number of file downloads in *.zip format - the
>files were zipped up using WinZip. The downloads work fine when accessed
>by my users with IE (all versions). However, when users using Netscape
>access the files they load into a white screen on Netscape and show part
>of the header of the file in black text, rather than downloading the
>file to their hard-disks as it should.
>
>The page is:  http://www.consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm
>
>I have tried deleting and re-inputting/re-writing the html code from
>scratch; I have deleted and re-created the files and now I am at a loss.
>A friend in America who does exactly the same thing on his pages (with
>another server) has no problems at all and has suggested that it is
>something to do with the incorrect MIME Type being set on the server.
>
>Any ideas ?
>
>Cheers.
>
>Steve.

>--------------------
>Steve J. McWilliam  -  Consult-Eco - Providing Excellence In:-
>    Invertebrate & Ecological Survey, Identification,
>    Education & Training, Computing & Recording
>Tel:  01928-573697 (24 hour answer-phone service)
>E-Mail: stevemc(at)consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk
>4 Priory Close, Halton Village, Runcorn, Cheshire, WA7 2BN
>Check Out:  http://www.consult-eco.ndirect.co.uk

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit my garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

In conjunction with Makin' Waves Studio
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/index.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html