RE: WAP <Fuzzy is confused>

by Kym Jones <kjones(at)adam.com.au>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:04:32 +0930
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original

I've been out of commission a good part of this morning, so a bit slow here.

Let me get this straight ..."our Fuzzy" is confused ? ...hahaha yeah
right!!! ...he's never been confused in his life or if he has, he's not
gonna admit to it ...are ya Fuzzy ? ...just teasing :) Beneath that razor
tongue is a big ole pussycat who *really* does know what he's talking about.

Anyway....I remember, way back when, (insert the string quartet here), I
had to hack..(oops, sorry) fight my way through a dozen menus to get to a
PPP connection to "surf" around in black and white, and wrestle with the
most awful email thing called Pine where I guarantee, I lost far more than
I ever saw. Everything was on a Unix server and if you wanted to download
anything, half an hour was spent tracking through various directories to
find it and then praying a lot. ahhhhhhhhhh...the good old days...NOT ...
:)))))

Along came Windows 3.1 and Netscrape... *WOW*....color and pretty pictures.
Now, I have to tell you, that it was far more "inviting" than the black and
white. It's all very fine to read about how to plant taters, but a picture
paints a thousand words, and to see some dufus, with a shovel in his hand
and a hole in the ground along with instructions is most useful :)...in
this instance, I guess a case of...monkey see/monkey do :)

<snip>
>BTW who would ever buy such goods as cars and guns from a website, if they
>do not already know *exactly* what they want. If you are looking around
>without a clue as to what you really want to buy, you're still better of
>in a real store.
</snip>

Olav, I hear what you're saying, and I agree with you, but you can save
yourself a whole lot of shoe leather by doing the pre-buying research
online too. Australians by and large, are not great online shoppers and I
don't have any figures to back it up, but I would hazard a guess that a
greater percentage of them *will* check out stores online, see what they
like and then go to the store to feel, sniff, purchase it.

<snip>
>That's how it works for me, when I want to buy a car I can care less about
>websites. For every car I could afford, I want to know how it smells! I
>want to feel how well the driver's seat supports me (I am not a
>lightweight person). I want to feel how the wheel and stick feel in my
>hands. Is this not true for most customers? Can such impressions be
>derived from pictures, text or tables full of facts?
</snip>

Absolutely, you want to *feel* a car before you buy it, but if you were in
a position to buy, isn't it nice to be able to do some research online and
*see* what's available, rather than having to just use your imagination as
to what it looks like ?

On the other hand...less IS more and a site that's crammed to the back
teeth with *huge* graphics that take forever to load, are so pixilated that
they make your teeth itch, with color schemes that make you rush for your
sunglasses and/or a bucket...are NOT my cup of tea.

A well designed site combining good solid information about a product along
with relevent pictures, is great in my book. It's called "balance".

><ENTIRELYOFFTOPIC>
>Oh, and and thank God that guns are illegal in my country, that's why
>murder rate is relatively low here, specially when compared to the USA. I
>think I would not *ever* think of building a website for a gun shop, like
>I would for an erotic art gallery or even, in time of financial need, an
>adult video shop. Just a matter of principle. I thank God also for not
>being an American. And I send all of you my sympathy.
></ENTIRELYOFFTOPIC>

I don't want to get into this debate here ...but...guns are illegal here
(in Australia) too Olav and people still get murdered. America is a
wonderful country and the Americans that I know are friendly, proud,
wonderful people. They are just as saddened by death as anyone but they
certainly do not need sympathy for being who or what they are. Personally,
I'd be damned proud to call myself an American citizen.

...and on that happy note, I'll put my soapbox away :)

Kym

FoJo Media -  for Creative Web Design and Marketing Services
*NEW*...Be sure to visit the "Samples Gallery"...*NEW*
http://www.fojomedia.com

Visit my garden to enhance your website with FREE graphics...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz3/makinwaves/garden.html

A tribute to my Mother who recently passed away
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/Bayou/4441/tribute.html