Re: why not valid?

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:44:04 +1100
 To:  max.moritz.sievers(at)gmx.de,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
G'Day Max,

At 02:40 am 14/01/01 +0100, Max Moritz Sievers wrote:
>I dont understand why http://deluxe.bluehash.de/chemie/chemie.htm is as
>http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdeluxe.bluehash.de%2Fchemie%2
>Fchemie.htm
>says not valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
>I don't understand the errors.

I'm on holidays at present with only limited dial-up access, so I haven't
looked at your page.

The problem is most likely to be a lack of closing tag or unquoted attributes.

There is however a MUCH simpler system of correcting your page.  Download
HTML Tidy from the W3C.  This is a command line interface program for
multiple operating systems.  If you are on a Windows platform, then
download HTML-Kit (it comes with a GUI interface for Tidy).

When (the Tidy Options in HTML-Kit are) configured correctly, you can load
a HTML page, check it with Tidy, and compare the two windows to see what is
different.  If you like the validated page, a right-mouse click brings up a
command to replace the old version with the valid one.  Using this system
you can readily switch between HTML4.01, XHTML1.0, and XML1.0 formats.

Later versions of Homesite also have HTML Tidy attached and can perform
similar transformations (at least - that's what I discovered in my workshop
in Hawaii a couple of months back :)

The W3C website is at http://www.w3.org/ and there should be a link on the
left hand side to HTML Tidy - I can't remember the exact URL.

(And now, back to the beach :-)