Re: Table alignment problem

 Date:  Wed, 28 Feb 2001 23:07:38 -0500
 To:  Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:39 PM 2/28/01 , Ken Lanxner wrote:
>Fuzzy,
>
>When was the last time you actually read the documents at w3.org? :-)

I would have to say I average about 20 hours a week on that particular
site, as I have for the last several years.

>DTD 3.2 was adopted in 1996. Things change. Use 3.2 if you want. But why
>do you always feel the need to slam the recommendations of W3C, the same
>organization to which you choose to validate? And how come your own
>portfolio is largely absent of 3.2 documents (other than your personal
>pages)?

I'm not slamming recommendations. I'm relaying personal and professional
experience. I know that 3.2 is THE most supported standard in the HTML today.

It is my opinion that the developer MUST stay "on top" of developments, and
PLAY with all the new stuff that comes along. But when I am getting paid to
produce, I produce the most widely supported code I am capable of. I would
like to lovingly challenge the heck out of ANY member of this list to
dispute my OPINION that 3.2 (final) *is* the most widely supported DTD at
this point in time.

I choose to think of it as offering my customers a superior value for their
money, frankly. I can darned well prove my 3.2 will work in a heck of a lot
more browsers than ~anyones~ transitional DTD. If you were a customer
trying to reach the widest possible audience and leave a good impression,
which DTD would you want? Which brings me to my motto: "A well informed
consumer, is my best customer." They are usually pretty stupid when I get
there, they *never* are when I leave. I can live with that.

As to my portfolio.
If you have been to my site lately, it pretty well tells the story Ken. I'm
sorry if it sounds egotistical, but I am well beyond the need for any
concern about that site.

The vast majority of clients I serve do not want my name on their sites.

You see, I have a reputation. I am the guy that fixes expensive sites that
someone in management screwed up on when they hired the original developer.
To be honest with you, it is not that unusual for employees to be job
seeking soon after I show up.

Now, when you take into account that I NEVER do cold calling, and I NEVER
advertise, but my shop stays swamped 24/7/365 and has for the last five
years steady. I come to the conclusion personally that:

1) I'm doing *something* right.
2) Even most business ~competitors~ communicate regularly.

And last but not least, and you will just have to take my word for this . . .

I do a lot of government work, both at the county and state level in law
enforcement and administrative branches. It forbidden to put the
"construction" contractors identification information on the page because
of (and I quote) "security issues". Governments can be a little funny about
that stuff you know.

Anyway Ken, I'm not out here telling everyone to go my way or go to hell.
I'm out here sharing what I know from several years in this business works
~reliably~. I'm sure you have seen my very typing on this very list say:

If your demographics support the decision to toss the "rule book" do it -
HAVE A BLAST!

Please believe me when I say that they day there is better support for 4.X
than 3.2 I will dance my best Irish jig and never look back. And never
mention 3.2 again either, don't you think *I'm* getting tired of that dead
end DTD too? Sheeesh :-)

HTH,
Fuzzy