Re: Table alignment problem

 Date:  Thu, 01 Mar 2001 16:32:49 -0500
 To:  Ken Lanxner <klanxner(at)home.com>,
"Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:30 PM 3/1/01 , Ken Lanxner wrote:
>Yes, but newcomers to the Web -- whether from lesser-developed regions
>or the poorest pockets of North America -- do not necessarily start at
>the very beginning. They are not accessing the Web via Netscape 2.0,
>despite the common perception. Much of the Internet growth in these
>regions is in universities, schools, and community centers where you
>will typically find mostly donated or grant-purchased iMacs and PCs with
>IE5 installed.
>
>I know this from what I read but also from stats on my own
>public/academic information site.
>
>Ken

I will not disagree with you on that Ken, but based on similar stats from
my ed sites I have to *suspect* that even among the education community
(speaking globally) there has got to be a wide diversity of "starting
points". For instance, in one elementary school I "do" they (!honestly!)
average about 50 separate countries each month visiting. Statistics show
almost 70% of those visits being 3.X *or earlier* browsers. SO again, I'm
not even disputing your numbers, I'm just pointing out that we have
different numbers. I *suspect* this had to do with the actual content and
it's audience.

For instance in this case, this school has been developing on-line lesson
plans and such for elementary level education programs for some time. I
*know* that many many of those "hits" are schools in third (and fourth and
fifth) world countries downloading those lesson plans.

Now, even with that as a given. Please allow me to ask this:

If you can write code that works as well in NN 2.x as MSIE 5.x how does it
make sense not to?

Please, allow me to restate my original premise here:

"Use 3.2 because it is the widest supported dtd - thus allowing you the
widest audience."

Not because it is "good" and the others are "bad" - except in those
specific terms.

NN 2 and MSIE 5.X both understand and support 3.2. That is not true for 4.X
transitional, XHTML & whatever.

In closing, even *I* must restate what Brother Ted shares with us every so
often: "Know thy audience - and write for _ them _."

Fuzzy
<really enjoying this discussion - thanks!>