Re: Table alignment problem

 Date:  Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:30:17 -0500
 To:  Gregor Pirnaver <gregor.pirnaver(at)email.si>
 Cc:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:42 PM 3/2/01 , Gregor Pirnaver wrote:
>On Thursday 01 March 2001 22:32 you wrote:
>> If you can write code that works as well in NN 2.x as
>> MSIE 5.x how does it make sense not to?
>
>1. Which browsers don't support HTTP 1.1 (virtual hosting)?

It is my understanding NN 2.0 had a problem with HTTP 1.1. No browser I am
aware of had a problem after that (chronological) time frame.

>2. What parts of transtional HTML don't work in 3+ web
>browser?

With all due respect Gregor, a BUNCH. Sit back and read this list a while.
Notice the consistency in which questions are asked. I think you will have
to agree, there is *definitely* a pattern. A big one.

>For the record:
>HTML 3.2 aims to capture recommended practice as of early
>'96 and as such to be used as a replacement for HTML 2.0
>(RFC 1866). Widely deployed rendering attributes are
>included where they have been shown to be interoperable.
>SCRIPT and STYLE are included to smooth the introduction of
>client-side scripts and style sheets. Browsers must avoid
>showing the contents of these element Otherwise support for
>them is not required. ID, CLASS and STYLE attributes are
>not included in this version of HTML.

SEE !?!?!?!?!?! Gregor this speaks directly to my point. You are quite
obviously well informed and quite competent. Surely you must realize that
depending on your *actual* demographics, using ID/CLASS/STYLE could be a
very bad idea.

I am merely supporting the position that: "If 'we' don't know FOR A FACT
what our demographics are, 'we' should make a real effort to err on the
side of backwards compatibility."

I guess in my own fumble-tonged way, that is all I'm really saying when you
get right down to it.

I answer questions on this list and spout advise based on that premise. I
like that, I think it's a good thing. Please continue to tolerate my ranting.

In closing, I hope all of you had as nice a weekend as I did!
SeaYa,
Fuzzy.