Re: [ . . .] . . . DTD Modification<Rebuttal>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Oct 2001 21:01:10 -0400
 To:  "Paul Wilson" <webguroo(at)tampabay.rr.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Paul (et al),

At 01:49 PM 10/2/01 , Paul Wilson wrote:
>Couldn't help yourself could you?  You want us to take offense because you
>love rabble rousing. It's almost the only email we get from you anymore.

I guess I have to agree with you Paul. First; I ~do~ have a reputation to
uphold. Second; I have been sitting here trying to ignore your message for
~hours~ and I just can't do it . . so here goes:

>Not trying to be offensive myself, but I didn't hear another option out
>there.  You almost never provide input on tough questions. You have a better
>way for us to use slices?

You know, now that you mention this I will go ahead and point out this
message I posted to this list addressing spaces in sliced images _ last
Friday_:

>Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 12:08:20 -0400
>To: "Dave Strausfeld" <dstrausfeld(at)benbert.slis.nccu.edu>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
>From: "Captain F.M. O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>
>Subject: Re: Problem using graphic background with tables
>
>Dave,
>
>I have a hunch. FWIW:
>
>Take the spaces out between the closing TD and the next opening TD
>~everywhere~. ie.

>Good.

>No good.
>
>Believe it or not! Say, didn't Superman say that? . . . oh, back on track
. . .

>NN has always handled spaces . . . a little differently. Especially spaces
>between table cells in the same table row - no kidding.
>
>Evidence the occasional rash of "why is there a gap in my sliced up (and
>tabled) image in NN version bla,bla,bla?" posts to this list that already
>have margins and padding set to "0".
>
>HTH,
>Fuzzy.

I did not repost the same message regarding this issue under the new
subject heading because I initially perceived it as being the same problem.
Woops. I guess I should have sent another copy of the same message to the
list under the new subject heading - sorry.

>I emailed Netscape months ago.  I also brought it up here and nobody replied
>then. Look - we need solutions - not insolvable connundrums.  We need to be
>productive creating what people want, not be slaves to ever shifting
>standards. I have been doing this since before Netscape was even a company
>and it's not a standard when it shifts like beach sand does after a storm.

Oh! I get it: Both progress and innovation suck. ~That~ I can relate to.
Personally, I think the world has been headed into the toilet ever since
the 60's ended. As for solutions, here is one for you:

HTML is a markup language, not a page layout language. Use it as designed
and you will NOT have these types of problems.

How's that? :-)

>I know.  I have been here creating web sites for many years and many ideas
>have come and gone from w3c, but this standards thing has never stabalized.
>The w3c writes standards and before the browsers have a chance to catch up,
>there are two more standards out there to worry about.  It has been this way
>since the beginning.

Ummmmmm, Paul, HTML 4.x has existed for two years _plus_. How many new
browser version have been released in that time? I'm sure you (also)
realize NONE of those releases have - to this minute - fully supported the
4.X elements. Yea, the browser folks can't keep up with the standards - right.

> What is the point?  Blindly following a moving target for a standard?
>Heck, I'm an American - it goes against the grain to blindly follow a pack
>of fools over a cliff.

Well Paul, far be it from me to suggest you not stay safe and sound right
there by yourself my friend.

In closing . . I have to say it is indeed a strange day when Fuzzy (that's
me) makes statements such as that. *I* still favor 3.2 Wilbur, and use it
whenever possible. Oh, and BTW, there are at least a few elements of 3.2
(FINAL) that the browser manufacturers STILL have not been able to . . .
catch up to. . .  in this world of standards changing so quickly.

Fuzzy.
<The original rabble rouser!>