Re: div <clairification please>

 Date:  Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:49:24 -0400
 To:  "Darrell King" <darrell(at)webctr.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 02:15 PM 10/15/01 , Darrell King wrote:
>I think there are some problems using DIV with CSS for positioning, mostly
>(but probably not entirely!) related to 4.x and older....?

Hi Darrell,

I think it's pretty common knowledge that support for CSS in older (<4.X)
browsers is pretty ~horrible~, and Lord knows regardless of what "they" say
in **many** cases browsers DO NOT just ignore code they do not understand -
they choke and puke! , so I'm *certainly* not disputing that. My concern is
the (?my?) inability to find in the standards (4.X, XHTML 1.X, XML ~) _ any
_ reference to tables or their (ratified) attributes either being
depreciated or dropped.

If that *is* the case ("say goodbye to tables") my life has just gone
spiraling down the . . . loo.

>Tables really were developed for data displays and not content layout...but,
>we have to do what works.  Still, I know I'll be happy when I can do it all
>with CSS...:).  I have to admin, though, I haven't really looked at this
>closely in quite awhile...perhaps, with NN4 fading, we are getting to the
>point where we can use DIVs instead of tables?

Hey, perhaps I'm reading too much between the lines of Holly's message. But
please try and understand that if she is (finitely) correct "we" are in a
world of hurt (referring to those of us who "must" cater to 2.x versions as
well as 6.x> versions).

Standing by (trembling) for Holly's clarification,
Fuzzy.