Re: Validation . .

 Date:  Sun, 04 Nov 2001 19:12:26 -0500
 To:  Linda <lindajeane(at)mac.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Yes.

"Correctly Shown" needs a little more explanation though.

Remember, that different browser versions and different computer operating
systems, and yes, even different computers of the same platform and browser
versions may display any given page differently - even the same page
differently.

What validation really gives you is the assurance that no mater what
combination of browser and operating system is used to view your page it
WILL function and not crash/freeze/lock up (whatever) anyone's machine.

"Will Function" now requires further explanation (sorry about that).

ADDITIONAL consideration ~must~ be placed on accessibility for older
browsers. The amount of additional consideration given needs to be based on
the pages target audience. This is where the Web Developer works their
magic - you know - earns those Big Bucks. Part of that magic involves
picking the proper Document Type Definition (DTD) to support the level of
sophistication (for lack of a better word) in coding the page.

This is a good example of where validation begins to pay off. The DTD in
effect tells the web browser what language to expect
(HTML/XHTML/CSS/FRAMES/. . . .). It tells the browser what dialect of that
language to expect (HTML 2/3.2/4.X, XHTML 1.X/ . . .).

Thus validating a document makes sure you have code compliant with the
conceptual baseline standards the browser vendor built their browser to,
and assures you to in the very least that as long as the code is compliant
with a given DTD it will not . . . confuse . .  . the browser.

HTH,
Fuzzy Out.
:-)