Re: Fonts and Graphics, Graphics and Fonts

 Date:  Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:24:55 -0500
 To:  "Sheila Perkins" <sheilaperkins(at)mindspring.com>,
<hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:29 AM 11/12/01 , Sheila Perkins wrote:
[. . . ]
How do I get the font into a gif, given that I
>can't afford Photoshop or similar (do have the Photoshop Business Edition
>which is severely limited), and scanned images of the font look, well,
>shabby?

I'm guessing you're working in Windows, Sheila.
START/PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/PAINT is one option. But I would strongly
suggest a more robust and versatile editor such as Paint Shop Pro (
http://www.jasc.com/ ) which is reasonably priced (No, I don't work for
them) and has a *evaluation version* available for download.

>And will visitors to my site have to download the font to see text
>in it if they don't already have the font, which they (guaranteed) won't?

Yes. Definitely. And if they are on a MAC or a *NIX box, or an old Windows
box, they may not be able to download and install the font from your site -
either.

>suspect they will, which is why I'd like to treat the text as an image.  Is
>there freeware that can do this?  Haven't run across any myself but since
>graphics is not my area of expertise I may not be recognizing it when I see
>it.

Windows Paint is the only "freeware" I am aware of.

HTH,
Fuzzy.