Re: Question for Fuzzy

 Date:  Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:15:59 -0500
 To:  "Ray Henderson" <Ray.Henderson(at)prodigy.net>,
"hwg-basics" <hwg-basics(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ray (et al),

sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this - somehow I missed it
the first time :-(.

The easy answer: "Depreciation". Kind of like that road kill you mentioned
left out in the sun too long, it depreciates. Well, so does HTML. The
saving grace for HTML is that new stuff comes in to replace the depreciated
stuff - unlike road kill (unless you count flies).

Unlike you and me (and possibly Ted), this web language stuff is still
developing. "They" are thinking of new and better <giggle> ways to write
the stuff we use to present web pages all pretty for people to ogle over.

Where <.center> used to be how you center stuff, some genius figured out it
would be better to use <.div align="center"> so the browsers now have to
support that (theoretically you understand). Well, the more code used to
create a web browser the slower it is to startup and operate in most cases
- so the web browser folks don't want to even ~try~ to put support for
every conceivable use of "center", so they support "one" center. The
premise being you are a genius too and know that you are supposed to use
<.div align="center">. They also brilliantly figured out that we wouldn't
mind going back and changing the hundreds of thousands of _ static_
documents on the web that have been working just fine for years.

Now, to carry this genius to it's logical and inevitable conclusion, we are
headed to the day where ALL attributes within a document are depreciated
and defunked (like that road kill again) unless they are CSS attributes,
that is.

I validated your page with my aged eyeball and see that you do include a
few attributes (and elements) that are depreciated in 4.X Strict. The
*easiest* way to fix that without creating a new page is to simply (and
carefully) incorporate those items into the file's CSS. Remember, virtually
any element can have attributes, so the questions isn't usually can I do
this, it is how do I do this. And, well, whether to eat that road kill
before it depreciates any more.

:-)
Fuzzy

At 01:11 PM 11/29/01 , Ray Henderson wrote:
>Cap'n Fuzzy
[ . . .]

>Now for the question:   (Keep in mind I'm just an HTML amateur)
>
>Why does a page which validates (W3C  HTML 4.01 Transitional)  display
>correctly with the HTML 3.2 and 4.O transitional options of Anybrowser,  yet
>look so different with the HTML 4.0 strict??    ***I assumed that anything
>which validates 4.01 Transitional would display fine using 4.0 strict.***
>Obviously that must not be the case.
>I'm a little confused with all this HTML 3.2,  4.0 strict - transitional
>stuff.  Can ya help me understand this a little better??
[ . . .]