Re: Using font . . . ?

by "Mike O'Lary" <ctfuzzy(at)canopy.net>

 Date:  Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:27:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
This is more opinion than question - but none the less . . .

Ineke,

what you say makes good sense, but I'm not so sure the cart is not in front
of the horse.

I have also heard screen readers "read" markup they didn't understand - and
it can be ugly.

*But* the 'font' tag has been part of non-transitional dtd's for a very
long time now. It is my opinion that these browser folks simply screwed up.
I believe the font tag is depreciated because the "whole world" is moving
to CSS. Where as you know, the font is either declared in another file all
together, or in the head of the document.

Now, perhaps, the screen reader software folks are simply ~miles~ ahead of
NN & MSIE and have put in "exceptional" support for CSS, and "terrible"
support for older (ratified or not) HTML. I don't know - but it certainly
makes it a challenge coding for screen readers _ and _ backwards
compatibility, even *I* can't argue about that !!

FWIW,
Fuzzy.