Re: ftp problem

 Date:  Sat, 22 Dec 2001 12:11:58 -0500
 To:  Linda <lindajeane(at)mac.com>,
hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Linda,

now . . . I may be mistaken in thinking this is your problem, but it is one I
run into frequently - this "bogus host" thing.

Let me give you an example:

Recently, I had the complaint that of two machines on the same network sitting
side by side, one could successfully FTP into a given site, one could not.

When I did a lookup, here is what I saw:

* - 205.223.195.1   router.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us
* - 205.223.195.11   m11.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us
* - 205.223.195.12   m12.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us
* - 205.223.195.31   mail.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us
* - 205.223.195.56   m56.woodville.leon.k12.fl.us
* - 205.223.195.150   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.164   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.165   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.167   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.179   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.207   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.241   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.251   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.253   Bogus.Host
* - 205.223.195.254   Bogus.Host

As it turns out, *most* sites requiring authentication not only require a UN &
PW, but a NAMED host. Above you will se an example of the naming convention
this institution enabled. As it turns out, 205.223.195.56 could get in just
fine, 205.223.195.167 could not.

Your ISP (or whoever owns the block of addresses) is responsible for naming
them.

Again, this is not a *for sure* in your case, but it is a distinct possibility.

HTH,
Fuzzy.