Re: Recommendations = Resources

 Date:  Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:44:23 -0500
 To:  hwg-basics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 03:52 PM 3/10/02 , Don Haller wrote:
>I had this same conversation with one of my friends/clients.  She is a
>paying customer of mine and she could care less about how nice the code is
>to me, or you or to any other web-rat.  All she cares about is how the page
>renders and how her customers can interact with the ideas and materials
>presented.

That is the point exactly Dan. The customer doesn't realize they are
chasing off (or worse) customers. They think that because it displays just
fine on their machine, everyone sees it the same way.

It is up to the web developer to make certain the client understands that
unless that geeky code that all those web rats do is done _correctly_ the
chances are actually pretty slim that MOST people will see/here/feel/BUY
what they intend. Unless they are targeting ONLY very high end demographics.

>Nice code makes for a site that is easier to maintain and it makes HTML
>hackers happy, but it doesn't do anything for most average customers.

I could not possibly disagree with you more Don. Sorry.

>I have seem gobs of Powerpoint presentations turned HTML that managers in my
>company just google over.  Makes me sick.  But bottom line, most people
>havn't a clue what goes into it.

"Googling" is good. Functional sells widgets, my friend.

I would go so far as to say that ~nothing~ that can be done with web
presentation languages can not be done in some manner *other than* the
"whiz bang" editors in a much more stable - client independent - way. If
"your" clients objective is to present their products to the widest
possible audience with the highest level of client independent interaction,
you MUST hand code. Oh, you must know a heck of a lot more than just HTML too.

While I have to admit to a certain bias against what *I* call broken pages
(defined as any page created solely in a WYSIWYG editor, generally), I will
admit that realistically there most certainly IS a place for these pages -
personal web sites.

Public information and commercial/promotional content needs to be done
~~~correctly~~~ and that can not be done without a pretty through working
knowledge of HTML (at the minimum).

FWIW,
Fuzzy.